Each delectable serving has 275 calories, 8 grams fat and 7 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes (not including cooking the rice)
1 cup raw Basmati brown rice (about 4 cups cooked) or regular brown rice, see shopping tips below
1½ tablespoons canola oil or olive oil
1¾ cups cooked, large shrimp or medium shrimp (¾ pound)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup scallions, sliced (green onions)
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup frozen or fresh edamame, thawed or peas
¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 egg whites, scrambled
1 tablespoon sesame oil or canola oil, see shopping tips
1. Cook brown rice according to package directions.
2. In the meantime, prep the vegetables and gather all the ingredients.
Cut the tails off the cooked shrimp. Add shrimp to a bowl and squeeze lemon over all the shrimp. Set aside for a few minutes.
3. Once rice is cooked, set aside. In a nonstick wok or large nonstick pan, add canola oil and preheat over medium-high heat. Stir in cooked shrimp and scallions; stir-fry for 1 minute.
4. Add cooked rice, celery, edamame or peas, soy sauce and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 3 minutes, until heated through, tossing gently to coat all ingredients. Push rice mixture to the sides of wok or pan. Add eggs to the other side of the pan. Stir fry about 1 minute or until the egg whites are completely cooked. Mix egg whites into rice/shrimp mixture. Add sesame oil, pepper and stir fry ingredients all together until hot.
4. Serve immediately. Store leftovers in refrigerator for 2 days.
Makes 6 servings (a little over 1 cup each) Entire recipe makes 6½ cups
Choose cooked, shelled, shrimp that look plump and succulent. Cooked shrimp can be refrigerated air-tight for a few days.
My favorite rice to use is brown Basmati rice. You can find it now in most supermarkets. I bought it at Trader Joe’s. They now sell quick cooking Basmati brown rice too. Or, use your favorite brown rice.
I used cooked, large shrimp for the time savings. If you prefer to use raw, sauté a little longer in step 2, until pink.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 7
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7
275 calories, 8g fat, 1g sat. fat, 111mg chol, 21g prot, 30g carbs, 2g fiber, 590mg sod, 1g sugar