- 1 1/2 lb potatoes, peeled and cubed (russet recommended)
- 1/4 cup Borden half-and-half
- 2 Tbsp Land O’ Lakes unsalted butter
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 cup Swanson chicken broth
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (optional)
- 1/2 cup English peas (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Boil potatoes until tender. Drain when done.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pan over medium-high. Sauté onions and carrots for 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another 30 seconds. Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper and cook for about 3 more minutes, or until cooked through.
- Stir in the flour and cook for another minute. Add the tomato paste, chicken broth, Worcestershire, and thyme. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- In the meantime, mash potatoes with half-and-half, salt and pepper, and egg yolk.
- Stir corn and peas into meat mixture, if using. Pour mix into an 11×13” baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes, smoothing flat with a rubber spatula (try to get a nice seal around the edges).
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until potatoes start to brown. Allow to rest 15 minutes before serving.
Quick tip: Try making this with mashed sweet potatoes for a whole new flavor!