Makes: 20 macaroons
Serving Size: 1 macaroon
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, chopped and melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue beating until the meringue is glossy. Stir in coconut, vanilla (or almond) extract and salt. Form the mixture into 20 balls, using about 1 tablespoon each, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the macaroons until lightly browned on the outside but still soft on the inside, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Spoon melted chocolate into a small plastic bag. Snip off a tiny tip of one corner. Squeeze the chocolate through the hole and drizzle over the cooled cookies. Or dip a fork into the chocolate and quickly wave it over the cookies. Let the cookies stand until the chocolate sets before serving or storing.
Per serving: 89 calories; 6 g fat (5 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 6 g added sugars;6 g total sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 16 mg sodium; 63 mg potassium.