Serving 12 tortillas
- 3 -4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup warm water
- Combine the 3 cups flour, salt and baking powder in large bowl.
- Either by hand, or with pastry blender, work in the shortening until crumbly (you can add a little more shortening if the mixture looks too floury).
- Slowly add the water (I start with 1 cup and add more as needed) to flour mixture while tossing with a fork.
- With your hands, knead dough vigorously for about 2 minutes, until it forms a nice dough ball.
- Cover with cloth and let stand at least 15 minutes.
- Take a ball of dough (golf ball size for small, slightly more for bigger tortillas) and roll into a ball.
- Roll in flour to cover.
- On floured surface, roll out dough evenly and very thin.
- Place each tortilla on a medium hot cast iron skillet.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until the tortilla no longer looks doughy.
- NOTE: the ingredients are fairly accurate, but feel free to adjust to get the correct consistency.
Serving Size: 1 (729 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 189.7
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 255.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.2 g