Makes: 4 servings, about 1 cup each
- 3-5 teaspoons fish sauce, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 medium English cucumber, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 avocado, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 mango, cut into 3/4-inch dice (see Kitchen Tip)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Whisk fish sauce to taste, lime zest, lime juice, oil, brown sugar, vinegar and crushed red pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add cucumber, avocado, mango and cilantro; gently toss to coat. Serve garnished with lime zest, if desired.
TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Shopping Tip: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment; find it in large supermarkets and Asian markets.
- Kitchen Tip: To peel and cut a mango:
- 1. Slice both ends off the mango, revealing the long, slender seed inside. Set the fruit upright on a work surface and remove the skin with a sharp knife.
- 2. With the seed perpendicular to you, slice the fruit from both sides of the seed, yielding two large pieces.
- 3. Turn the seed parallel to you and slice the two smaller pieces of fruit from each side.
- 4. Cut the fruit into the desired shape.
Per serving: 169 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 178 mg sodium; 342 mg potassium.