Traditionally, we always ate this creamy beef gravy over toast. Thatâ€™s what made it so easy. I never really liked it that way though. I discovered that for my personal taste, I prefer it over potatoes. I can do it with instant mashed, homemade mashed, or even just by throwing a potato in the microwave to â€œbakeâ€ it. Eating it that way is the only way I really enjoy this meal. My husband likes his over rice. It just depends on what you like. You can try them each way and find out for yourself the method that tastes the best to you!Â Check out what they are saying about this recipe over at Nutmeg Nanny:
â€œThis SOS creamed beef recipe is one of the easiest dishes to throw together.â€
Stop staring at the contents of your refrigerator and throw this creamed beef together for dinner tonight!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 tablespoonsÂ Land Oâ€™ Lakes unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons Gold Medal flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Bread, toasted
- Set a large 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and onion to the skillet. Season lightly with kosher salt and black pepper. Break up the meat as it cooks and cook until itâ€™s brown in color and no pink remains. Drain the meat and set aside.
- In the same pan as you used to brown the meat, set it over medium heat and add the butter. Melt the butter and sprinkle in the flour and whisk together until it forms a paste. Let it bubble slightly and cook for about a minute.
- Slowly stream in milk and whisk until thick. This might take a few minutes to get the gravy as thick as you like.
- Add cooked beef and onion to the white gravy mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Feel free to add more flavor by sprinkling in crushed red pepper, garlic powder or fresh herbs.