I usually make this recipe when I want comfort food. It is a comfort food that takes me back to my childhood and has such a warm feeling. It would be a good choice for you to try, too.
A delicious chicken and dumplings recipe. The base is creamy, full of real chicken flavour and fresh cooked onions, celery and carrots add to the dish’s great taste. With a twist like basil, this dish really sounds amazing. It also has peas that add an interesting sweetness to the savory broth. The “dumpling” can be made with a drop biscuit that is infused with hints of basil. It is firm on the outside and gooey like a traditional dumpling.
Cook time: 40 Min
Prep time: 45 Min
1/4 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped celery
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c butter or margarine
1/2 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
4 c chicken broth
10 oz package frozen peas
4 c cubed, cooked chicken
2 c Bisquick
2 tsp dried basil
2/3 c milk
Tips: We boiled 3 chicken breasts and used the broth from boiling them later in the recipe.
1. In a large saucepan, saute onion, celery, and garlic in butter until tender.
2. Add flour, sugar, salt, basil, pepper, and broth; bring to a boil.
3. Cook and stir for 1 minute; reduce heat.
4. Add peas and cook for 5 minutes; stirring constantly.
5. Stir in chicken.
6. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
7. For the dumplings, combine Bisquick and basil in a bowl.
8. Stir in milk with a fork until moistened.
9. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto casserole (12 dumplings).
10. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
11. Cover and bake 10 minutes more or until dumplings are done.