- 1 box German chocolate cake mix
- 2 bags (11 oz each) caramels, unwrapped
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and flour a 9×9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cake mix and 1/3 cup of the evaporated milk. Add melted butter and chopped pecans and mix together. Mixture will be thick.
- Divide dough in half and press one half into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake until just slightly set, about 8-10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the caramels and remaining evaporated milk to a double boiler. Cook, stirring occasionally, until caramels have melted and mixture is totally smooth. Pour caramel mixture over first brownie layer, making sure it’s evenly spread out. Top with chocolate chips.
- On a piece of parchment or wax paper, press remaining dough into a square that’s slightly smaller than the baking pan. Set on top of chocolate chip layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes, then let brownies come to room temperature. Cover and chill in refrigerator for several hours to set caramel layer.
- Dust liberally with powdered sugar, if using, and slice and serve. Enjoy!