I have had a lifelong love affair with chocolate, though I mainly eat chocolates during dessert after dinner. My mother’s pie is still my favorite. This smooth, creamy texture mixture with a bold chocolate flavor will take you to heaven.
Cook time: 5 Min
Prep time: 4 Hr
Serves: 6-8 (Prep time is for chilling)
sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 c milk chocolate chips (or dark chocolate if you prefer)
1/2 tsp salt
4 egg yolks
3 c milk
2/3 c sugar
1/3 c cornstarch
1 deep dish pie shell or use a 10″ pie pan
1. Bake the pie shell according to package directions; cool.
2. In a 2-qt. saucepan stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt.
3. In a container with a pouring spout, combine egg yolks and milk.
4. Gradually blend milk mixture into sugar mixture.
5. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir for 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Add 1-3/4 cup chocolate chips and stir until chips are melted and mixture is well blended.
6. Pour into prepared pie shell. Press plastic wrap onto filling. Cool. Refrigerate several hours or until well chilled and firm.
7. Garnish with whipped cream and remaining chocolate chips.