Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: Heaping 1½ cups of casserole
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta (I like Barilla®)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can Campbell’s® Healthy Request® condensed tomato soup
- 1 (15-ounce) can reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can low-sodium whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can Ro*Tel® “Original” diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat four cheese Mexican blend (I like Sargento®)
- 1 tomato, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef, onion and garlic until the beef is no longer pink, 7 to 8 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break the beef up as it cooks. Drain any excess fat and return the skillet to the stovetop, turning the heat down to low.
- Add the cooked pasta, soup, beans, corn, diced tomatoes, green chilies, chili powder, cumin, salt and black pepper to the skillet and stir until well combined.
- Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the Mexican cheese evenly over the top. Bake uncovered in the oven until the cheese is melted and casserole is heated through, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Top with the diced tomato before serving.
- Per Serving (Heaping 1½ cups of casserole):
- Calories: 319
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 7g
- Sugar: 11g
- Protein: 21g
- SmartPoints: 9