The kids were hinting for me to make some biscuits…I hadn’t made this particular recipe in years, but remembered how tender and flaky they were…and they didn’t let me down…serve them hot out of the oven…once buttered of course… Enjoy!
Cook time: 15 Min Prep time: 10 Min Serves: 10 – 12 – can easily be doubled
2 1/2 c unbleached flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 c cold butter
1 c cold buttermilk
extra butter for brushing biscuits
1. Preheat oven to 485 degree F. Sift the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Slice the butter into pats and with fingers, rub the butter into the flour, until you have pieces the size of large and small peas.
3. Stir the buttermilk into the flour with a fork, just until the dough starts to come together. Using your hands, start kneading the dough to incorporate all of the flour. If the dough is not sticky, add more milk.
4. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and fold over itself 2 or 3 times ( this is what makes the layers.) Just fold and push 3 times. With your hands, pat out dough to 3/4 inch thickness. Cut out dough using a 3 inch biscuit cutter – DO NOT TWIST THE CUTTER! Twisting will seal sides, and keep biscuits from rising correctly.
5. Place biscuits on a greased baking sheet or cake pan, so they almost touch. Brush tops with buttermilk or melted butter.
6. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until desired brownness occurs. I turn the pan half way through baking time.
7. Brush the biscuits when taken from the oven and serve them hot. Enjoy with honey, butter, jam or gravy!
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!