To me, nothing says Spring like fresh strawberries and rhubarb. This wonderful pie is a new family favorite that tastes like jam with a creamy custard all baked into a pie crust with a crunchy crumb topping. So good it will make your eyes roll back into your head!
Cook time: 1 Hr 10 Min Prep time: 30 Min Serves: 8
1 prepared pie crust (store bought or make your own)
16 oz strawberries, fresh with stems removed & sliced thin
1 c diced fresh rhubarb
1 c sugar
1/3 c flour
2 large eggs, room temp
1/2 c reduced fat sour cream or plain yogurt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 c butter, melted
1/2 c + 2 1/2 t. flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place preferred pie crust into pie pan and crimp edges as desired.
2. Place a layer of strawberries in bottom of crust, then sprinkle half the rhubarb over strawberries. Repeat until all fruit is in crust.
3. In a bowl, combine sugar and flour very well. Add eggs,sour cream and vanilla and blend well with mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour evenly over the fruit in pie crust.
4. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour in melted butter and combine well. Add in flour and stir well. Mixture should clump together well. Crumble evenly over pie mixture.
5. If desired, brush pie crust edges with an egg wash. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
6. Cool completely on a wire rack for AT LEAST 4 hours. >>>Pie needs at least 4 hours for the cream to set up<<<
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!