Imagine you’re at home, about to settle down with a snack in front of the TV, about to enjoy some well deserved ‘me time’ when you hear it. A buzz that seems to be coming from everywhere and nowhere. Then you see it: the biggest fly that has ever existed. Before reaching for that spray bottle of pesticide, consider the following.
Pesticide and You
While it may seem easier to reach for a bottle of pesticide, you could be doing more harm than good. Pesticides are meant to kill and they are inherently toxic. They come in various forms, from sprays and powders to crystals and fogs. You may be thinking, ‘Where’s the harm? I’m not a bug’. While this is true, that doesn’t mean what is bad for the bugs isn’t bad for you too. If a chemical is bioaccumulative, your body will continue to collect it over a long period of time, without having the means to remove it from your system (another example of a bioaccumulative compound is mercury). So, while one instance of exposure to household pesticides may be insignificant, continual use over time may present some health risks.
Health Effects of Pesticides
If you use pesticides frequently or are around them often either at home, work, or elsewhere, you could be at risk of overexposure. Exposure to pesticides may result in :
- irritation to eye, nose, and throat
- damage to central nervous system and kidney
- increased risk of cancer
If you’re not sure if you are being exposed to pesticides, here are some common symptoms to look out for:
- muscular weakness
Chronic exposure to pesticides leads to much more dangerous symptoms. Being overexposed to pesticides can lead to damage to the liver and kidneys, disrupt endocrine functions, or even cancer .
Unfortunately, many homes in America have some form of pesticide or pesticide residue  in their homes, leaving many people at risk of exposure.