Prep Time:12 min
Cook Time:8 hr
- 2 medium uncooked carrot(s), peeled, cut into large chunks
- 2 rib(s) uncooked celery, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), cut into large chunks
- 2 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 2 cup(s) dry lentils, picked over
- 3 leaf/leavesbay leaf
- 1⁄2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1⁄4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 8 cup(s) canned chicken broth
- 4oz uncooked Canadian bacon, diced (4 or 5 slices)
Place ingredients in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker in the following order: carrots, celery, onion, garlic, lentils, bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper and broth. Cover slow cooker; cook on low setting for 6 hours. Uncover, stir in bacon and heat for 30 minutes more; remove bay leaves. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
To thicken soup, remove 1 cup of cooked lentils and puree in food processor; stir back into soup. For a lighter flavor, replace 4 cups of chicken broth with 4 cups of water. To make this vegetarian, substitute a cup of sliced shiitake mushroom caps for the Canadian bacon and use vegetable broth (could affect SmartPoints value). For additional flavor, top each serving with a splash of white wine vinegar.