- 1 pound Italian turkey or chicken sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped (I used a combination)
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (I used 3 teaspoons jarred)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 ounces broken whole-wheat lasagna noodles (about 3 to 4 noodles)
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4 to 5-Quart
- Put the the sausage and chopped onion in a microwave safe bowl and microwave, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is no longer pink, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker, breaking up any large pieces of sausage.
- Stir in the bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, broth, tomato sauce, tomatoes, salt and crushed red pepper. Cover and cook on LOW until the sausage and vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 hours.
- Add the broken lasagna noodles, cover and cook on HIGH, until tender, about 30 minutes. Turn off the slow cooker and stir in the basil, mozzarella and Parmesan.
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1 cup): 202 calories, 6 g fat, 14.4 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein