Recipe By: ejm228
“Added additional lemon and raspberries to this classic and delicious lemon meringue pie, giving it a less-sweet and brighter flavor. Sometimes I don’t make the meringue, I just cool the lemon filling for 3 hours and garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a raspberry at serving time.”
- 1 pastry for a 9-inch pie crust
- 1 egg white, or as needed
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup lemon juice, divided
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon pulp (including zest if desired)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Press pie crust into a 9-inch pie pan. Brush crust with enough egg white to coat with a thin layer.
- Cook in the preheated oven until golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove crust from oven and cool. Decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cook and stir raspberries in a saucepan over medium heat until raspberries start to break down, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir 1 tablespoon cornstarch into raspberries until cornstarch is dissolved and mixture is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon raspberry mixture into pie crust.
- Combine 1 cup white sugar and 1/4 cup cornstarch in a saucepan; gradually stir in water and 1/2 cup lemon juice until smooth. Stir egg yolks into sugar mixture; bring to a boil. Cook sugar-egg mixture at a boil, stirring constantly, until smooth, about 1 minute. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir lemon pulp, remaining 1/4 cup lemon juice, and butter into sugar-egg mixture; pour over raspberry mixture.
- Beat 3 egg whites in a small bowl using an electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually beat 1/3 cup white sugar into egg whites until stiff peaks form. Spread egg white mixture over lemon filling, completely sealing egg mixture onto edges of crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven until meringue is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool pie to room temperature on a wire rack, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate pie until completely chilled, about 3 hours.