Recipe By: Cally
“Use brine left over from your favorite pickles to add flavor and keep your fried chicken moist.”
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 cups dill pickle juice
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place chicken thighs in a resealable plastic bag; cover with pickle juice. Seal and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Drain pickle juice from thighs. Cover chicken; refrigerate until ready to fry.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat 2 inches oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pour buttermilk and flour into 2 separate bowls. Season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in buttermilk. Toss in flour. Return to buttermilk and toss in flour a second time. Place chicken on a rack set over a baking sheet.
- Fill Dutch oven with as many thighs as possible without crowding. Cook at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Place thighs on the baking sheet. Repeat until all pieces are fried. Transfer thighs to the oven.
- Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 5 to 8 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Season with a pinch of salt.