Everyone loves this cake, and can’t believe it starts with a mix! The frosting recipe makes a LOT of frosting, as my family likes it decadent! Frosting recipe may be downsized, if you prefer.
Cook time: 15 Min
Prep time: 15 Min
1 box white cake mix with pudding
3 lg eggs
1/4 c oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 c buttermilk
3 1/2 oz shredded coconut (about 1 1/2 cups; 1/2 a 7 oz bag)
2/3 c chopped pecans, toasted
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
16 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 c butter, room temperature
32 oz confectioners’ sugar
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 3 9-inch pans. Or, you may use 8″ pans for a taller cake if you prefer.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients.
3. Mix at medium speed for approximately 2 minutes.
4. Stir in coconut and pecans.
5. Pour into prepared pans. If using 9″ pans, the batter will be spread fairly thin.
6. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until cakes test done. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes.
7. Then remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
8. For frosting, combine cream cheese and butter. Mix until well blended.
9. Gradually add confectioners sugar as you mix. Mix until fluffy frosting consistency. Add vanilla and blend well.
10. Frost between layers, sides, and top of the cake.
11. Garnish with toasted pecan halves, if desired.