This is the way my mother served sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving and Christmas before she discovered the well known Sweet Potato Souffle recipe. As much as I love the souffle recipe, I still love these potatoes in this wonderful syrup. Hope you enjoy!
4 to 6 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 c sugar
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 to 1 tsp nutmeg (nutmeg is strong and you don’t really need a lot)
1 tsp cinnamon
1. In a large (cast iron) skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add sliced potatoes to butter and toss to coat.
3. Mix sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
4. Add to potatoes. Toss to coat.
5. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour (covered), stirring occasionally until potatoes are fork-tender.