- 4 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups shortening
- 1 T sugar
- 2 t salt
- 1 T vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
. Using a fork or pastry blender, mix together the first 4 ingredients.
. In a separate dish, beat the remaining ingredients. Combine the 2 mixtures, stirring with a fork until all ingredients are moistened. Then divide into 5 parts and shape into balls. Chill for 15 minutes before rolling out or wrap and freeze.
here are my top tips for baking a great pie crust, regardless of what recipe you use:
- Keep your fat cold.
- Pea-sized specks of butter should be visible in the mixture.
- Refrigerate the dough after mixing – but not for too long.
- Roll carefully and slowly.
- Rechill the dough before baking.
- Build a protective barrier to keep the crust crisp.
- Make plenty and freeze!
- Bake your pie on the bottom rack of the oven.