8 Pointsplus, 8 Smartpoints
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 4 cup(s) cooked brown rice
- 1 1/4 cup(s) fat free salsa
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 15 oz canned refried beans
- 10 oz frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 4 oz canned green chili peppers, mild, diced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 10 oz chopped frozen spinach, or collard greens, thawed and set to drain in a strainer over a bowl
- 3/4 cup(s) low fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped (optional; for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 2-quart rectangular, round or oval baking dish with cooking spray
- In a large bowl, combine rice, salsa and cumin. Spoon 2 cups of rice mixture into prepared baking dish and spread out to evenly cover bottom of dish.
- In another large bowl, combine refried beans, corn, chili peppers and chili power. Using a rubber spatula, scrape bean mixture on top of rice layer and smooth out top.
- Squeeze out any excess water from spinach or collard greens and then spread on top of bean layer; sprinkle with 6 tablespoons of cheese. Top with remaining rice mixture and smooth out top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place casserole on a large rimmed baking sheet to catch any spillage. Bake until heated through and cheese is browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro (if desired), cut into 6 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.
- Leftover brown rice works well in this dish. Or save time by picking some up at your local Chinese restaurant.