Ingredients for Casserole:
- ½ pound lean ground beef or turkey (freeze the rest for another use)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard or spicy brown mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups frozen Ore Ida hash brown potatoes (not thawed) diced not shredded, see shopping tip
- ½ cup fat-free cottage cheese
- ¼ cup fat-free sour cream or yogurt
- 2 egg whites (1/4 cup)
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Ingredients for Topping: Optional
1 dill pickle, chopped into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large nonstick pan, cook the beef or turkey and onions until meat is browned. Stir often, breaking up the meat into a crumble. Drain the fat in the sink. Stir in tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Mix well. Remove from heat.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the cottage cheese, sour cream, and egg whites.
4. To Assemble Casserole: Spread all the frozen potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish, breaking up the pieces. Top with all the meat mixture, spreading evenly. Top with cottage mixture and spread over the entire top. Sprinkle the top evenly with cheddar cheese.
5. Bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until heated through.. Let rest for at least 5 minutes and cut into 6 slices. Top each with a little chopped dill pickle before serving, if desired
Makes 6 servings. Each serving, 1 slice
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
for 1 slice: 162 calories, 3g fat, 0g sat. fat, 18mg chol, 15g prot, 20g carbs, 3g fiber, 565mg sodium, 5g sugar