- 2 cups all-purpose flour 284 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk room temperature
Lemon Glaze (optional):
- 1/2 cup icing sugar sifted
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ (175°C) .
- Grease and flour (or use non-stick spray) a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir in lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl of stand mixer beat butter on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue beating for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Make sure you scrape the bottom of your bowl.
- Add lemon juice (the batter will curdle).
- Alternate addition of flour and milk (in 2 additions). Mix on low speed until combined. Do not over mix.
- If using add-ins, combine gently at this point.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60-75 minutes until golden and cake tester comes out clean.
- Transfer pan to a rack where it can cool down for about 10 minutes before removing loaf to cool down completely on a wire rack.
- Ensure oven is preheated to the right temperature.
- Take out the milk, eggs and butter 30-60 minutes before starting.
- Cream the softened butter, then slowly add the sugar until light and fluffy.This step takes at least 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time and properly beat after each addition. Be sure to scrape down the bowl during this process.
- Reduce the speed to low when adding the flour and milk. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Lemon zest is an ingredient in this recipe. This is the bright yellow outer layer of the lemon peel. Use a micro-plane or a box grater for grating. Make sure you only grate the yellow part as the white pith is extremely bitter.
- Make this lemon dessert your own by adding slivered almonds (½ cup) or poppy seeds (2 tablespoons).
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information provided below is just a rough estimate and variations can occur depending on the specific ingredients used.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 202kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 87mg | Potassium: 75mg | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 235IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 0.9mg