This recipe for layered pineapple cake has been handed down from generation to generation. It will be well worth all the effort and time you put into it.
Cook time: 15 Min
Prep time: 20 Min
4 1/2 c cake flour
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp salt
2 c sugar
1 stick butter, melted
8 large eggs
3 c milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 large box instant vanilla pudding
1 tsp yellow food coloring
4 large eggs
2 stick butter
4 c sugar
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
3 1/2 can(s) crushed pineapple (drained)
1. Sift all dry ingredients together. Add butter little at a time until crumbly. Add eggs,milk,vanilla and yellow food coloring. Mix together until smooth.
2. Preheat oven to 350 I use 8 in cake pans lined with wax paper for easy removal of cooked cake. Use enough cake mix to spread on bottom of pan (thin).Repeat this step for 9 layers. Watch close, they are thin and easy to over cook. When taking the cake out of cake pan, place waxpaper side down on counter. Cool completely.
3. As you cook the cake layers,start on the topping. In a large heavy pot mix butter,sugar,eggs together. Cook on low until butter is melted and sugar is disolved. Be careful not to scramble the eggs. That will happen if heat is to high. As it starts to cook raise heat little at a time until it becomes thick. Add flour and keep stiring constantly. Pore the drained pineapples into the mixture and stir. It becomes thick and syrup like as it cools.
4. Now you can start putting you cake together. Place bottom layer on plate. Spoon about 1/4 cup of your pinapple icing/syrup on to the cake layer. You may need a little more. you can judge. With a fork or pointed object, poke small holes in cake so the juice can get into the cake. Repeat until all layers have been used.
5. If you want to cheat a little, make it with 2 boxes of cake mix.. 🙂
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!