This is my mother’s recipe for Key Lime Pound Cake that was a staple in our house every Easter and throughout the summer. Moist, dense, and delicious!, I hope you enjoy it!
Cook time: 1 Hr 15 Min
1 c butter
1/2 c shortening
3 c sugar
6 lg eggs
3 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 c milk
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lime zest
1/4 c key lime juice
1 c powdered sugar
2 Tbsp key lime juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Tips: Key limes can take a while to juice. As a timesaver, we used Nellie and Joe’s Key Lime Juice and it was perfect.
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy.
2. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
4. Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt.
5. Add some of the flour to butter mixture.
6. Alternate with milk. Beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
7. Stir in vanilla, lime zest, and lime juice.
8. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch (12-cup) tube or Bundt pan.
9. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes.
11. Prepare the Key Lime Glaze by mixing together 1 c powdered sugar, 2 Tbsp key lime juice, and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
12. Remove cake from the pan.
13. Immediately brush glaze over top and sides of the cake.
14. Cool completely (about 1 hour).
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!