Even better than the real thing.
There are a few dinners that come in a box that maybe haven’t quite achieved ‘guilty pleasure’ status, but we still know could be better for us. Case in point: Hamburger Helper. It’s comforting, it’s quick, and it just tastes so darn good. There’s something about that tender pasta with the savory beef but mostly, it’s all about that irresistible sauce. Still, there are things to be considered… like sodium levels and food dyes and ingredients that you can’t quite pronounce. But don’t worry, we’ve got a way you can have your Hamburger Helper and eat it too.
Make your own! (It’s just as easy as the box, we promise.)
Serves 4; 20 minutes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup dry macaroni noodles
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat and drain grease.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the skillet, except for the cheese, and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Let cook 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the cheese and cover. Let sit 2 minutes and then stir to combine. Serve and enjoy!