This is one of my favorite casseroles that I’ve created over the years. It’s a delicious, creamy, cheesy ham and potato casserole with a crunchy, buttered cornflake topping. It’s a great recipe for making the most of your leftover Easter ham! We love it and I’m confident that you will too.
Cook time: 1 Hr 30 Min
Prep time: 45 Min
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can milk (whole or 2% measured in a soup can)
1/4 tsp seasoned salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
6 md potatoes, raw idaho, russet, yukon gold etc…
3-4 c chopped smoked ham
1/4 c finely chopped onion (optional)
1 c shredded extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
1 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese (yellow)
2 1/2 c crushed cornflakes
4 Tbsp salted butter, melted
1. Prep and assemble all ingredients.
2. Butter, or lightly coat with cooking oil spray, a 9″x13″ casserole; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, using a large spoon, mix together both soups.
4. Gradually mix in 1 can of milk.
5. Add seasoned salt and pepper; mix well; set aside.
6. Peel potatoes and slice four of them thin in food processor or on mandoline; immediately add to soup mixture and mix well.
7. Change blade, on food processor, to grater/shredder (or use box grater); shred remaining two potatoes; immediately add to soup mixture and mix well.
8. Add chopped ham and onion (if using) and mix well.
9. Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350º F.
10. Pour mixture into prepared dish and smooth down.
11. Evenly distribute both cheeses over top; set aside.
12. In a medium bowl, mix together crushed cornflakes and melted butter to coat.
13. Sprinkle cornflakes even over top of cheese layer.
14. Bake at 350º F for 1 1/2 hours, turning dish once after 45 minutes.
15. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
16. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.