This recipe was my husband’s great grandmother, Mrs. Cecil Walston’s pie recipe.
1 c milk
1 c sweetened, flaked coconut
1 c light cream
1/2 c sugar
2 Tbsp corn starch
2 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
1 pre-made pie crust
8 oz whipped cream
1. Bake pie crust according to directions on package and cool completely.
2. Place milk and light cream in a double boiler. If you can’t find light cream, combine 3 Tbsp melted butter (room temperature) and 1 scant cup of whole milk.
3. Add sugar and bring to a boil.
4. Add 2 Tbsp cold water to corn starch. Stir well.
5. In a bowl beat egg yolks until they are light.
6. Add the corn starch mixture to the yolks. Mix well.
7. Add egg mixture to the milk mixture in the double boiler. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
8. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and coconut.
9. Stir. Let stand 30 minutes.
10. Pour into prepared crust.
11. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes or until set.
Great Grandma’s Coconut Cream Pie 12. Remove plastic wrap. Cover with whipped cream and coconut flakes (toasted optional).