Oh, this is an ooey-gooey delight, with a rich, chocolate POW! And it’s ridiculously easy to make. I make my cake from scratch, ’cause that’s how I roll, but I’ve given the directions for a cake mix. Either way, this is a fabulous no-fail dessert.
Cook time: 50 Min
Prep time: 15 Min
1 c chopped pecans
1 c coconut
1 pkg German chocolate cake mix*
3 lg eggs
1/3 c vegetable oil
1/2 c butter, room temp
2 pkg cream cheese, room temp (8 oz each)
3 1/2 c confectioners’ sugar
1. Line a 13×9″ baking pan with parchment paper that has been cut to fit the bottom of the pan. Spread the chopped pecans over the bottom of the pan. Then layer the coconut over the pecans.
2. Toast the pecans and coconut in the oven briefly while it’s preheating.
3. Then remove the pan and let it cool.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, combine and mix the chocolate cake mix, vegetable oil, and 3 eggs. Set aside.
5. In a microwave-safe mixing bowl, heat the butter and cream cheese until they’re warmed and soft.
6. Stir the confectioners’ sugar into the cream cheese mixture, until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
7. Pour the cake mix batter evenly over the top of the pecans and coconut.
8. Spoon the cream cheese mixture in large ribbons down the length of the pan, over the top of the cake batter. Using a knife, gently swirl the mixture into the batter, being careful not to over-mix, or disturb the pecan and coconut layer.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Cake will be sticky when it’s done.
10. Let the cake rest for 5 or 10 minutes. Then turn it out onto a baking sheet, platter, or covered board.
11. When the cake has cooled, carefully peel off the parchment paper.
12. Serve when completely cool.
13. NOTES: For added nutrition and fiber, substitute coconut oil for some or all of the vegetable oil. You could also use a large springform pan, lined with parchment paper. I still have my old Tupperware rectangular cake taker, so I turn the cake out onto that — works perfectly! *This recipe is easily made gluten-free by using a gluten-free chocolate cake mix.
14. Last Step: Don’t forget to share!