I’ve lived in a Southern state for over 6 years now and I’ve finally made these beautiful fried tangy delicious bites! The tomatoes in my garden may not all make it to red anymore.
Cook time: 20 Min Prep time: 25 Min Serves: 4
4 medium green tomatoes or 3 large
1 1/4 c buttermilk
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour plus 2 tbsp
1/4 c cornmeal
oil for frying
1. Slice tomatoes about 1/4 in thick.
2. Mix buttermilk, eggs, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper, and the 2 Tbsp of flour together.
3. Combine the flour, cornmeal, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp of pepper together in a bowl.
4. Soak the tomato slices in the buttermilk mixture.
5. Then coat them one at a time in the flour mixture.
6. Oil should be 350 degrees. Cook in batches making sure you don’t overcrowd them or overlap them. Turn around 3 times until nice and golden brown.
7. Drain on paper towel. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!