A casserole version of traditional French Onion Soup, this dish is a real winner. Each serving is very big, and you get all the delicious flavors that are expected. A perfect, low calorie recipe to warm you up on a cold winter day.
- 5 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp light butter
- 1 cup fat free beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/3 loaf French baguette
- 4 slices light Swiss cheese (I used Jarlsberg)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Set a large pot or Dutch oven medium high heat, melt butter and add in onions, garlic and salt.
- Cook, stirring frequently until onions become caramelized, about 30-40 minutes.
- If onions start to stick to pan, just stir a tbsp or two of the broth as needed.
- Once onions are caramelized, add in the broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, pepper and thyme. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat to low and add in vinegar and season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Cover and keep over low heat to stay hot while you prepare the bread.
- Preheat oven broiler. Slice 1/3 of a loaf of French baguette into about 12 slices.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonfat cooking spray, and arrange baguette slices evenly on sheet. Lightly mist again with an olive oil mister or the nonfat cooking spray and then place in oven for 3 minutes on each side, or until bread is well toasted on both sides.
- Remove bread from oven and set it to bake on 375 degrees.
- Pour onion mixture into an 8X8 casserole dish. Top evenly with bread slices and then cover evenly with Swiss cheese slices.
- Place casserole dish into oven and let bake until cheese is melted and bubbly and beginning to brown, about 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: French
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 ½ cups
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 237 calories; 5g fat; 29g carbohydrates; 11g protein; 3g fiber