Makes: 8 servings, 2 rolls each
- 16 lasagna noodles, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 16-ounce container low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 16-ounce package frozen cut-leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a pot of salted water on to boil. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook half the lasagna noodles in boiling water until tender, about 8 minutes. With tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the noodles to a large bowl of cold water. Repeat with the remaining noodles. Drain and arrange the noodles in a single layer on clean kitchen towels. Cover with plastic wrap to keep from drying out. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside 1/4 cup of the onion mixture. Add flour to the onion mixture remaining in saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and return to a simmer; cook, whisking, until thickened to the consistency of heavy cream, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Spoon 1/2 cup of the sauce into bottom of the prepared baking dish. Set aside.
- Process cottage cheese in a food processor until smooth. Add the reserved 1/4 cup onion mixture, spinach and mozzarella; pulse until finely chopped. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add egg and pulse until blended.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons spinach mixture over 1 noodle. Roll up firmly and place seam-down in the prepared pan. Repeat with the remaining noodles and spinach mixture. Spoon the remaining sauce evenly over roll-ups and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake roll-ups, uncovered, until bubbling and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 329 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 9 g fiber; 424 mg sodium; 500 mg potassium.