This enchilada pie is a family favorite that was modified from a recipe given to my mother by a coworker over forty years ago. It is actually laid out much like lasagna so it’s a lot less work than traditional enchiladas.
Cook time: 30 Min
Prep time: 1 Hr
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb ground pork
salt, pepper, cumin and garlic to taste
1 yellow onion, diced
16 oz medium cheddar cheese
16 oz Monterey pepper jack cheese
8 oz small curd cottage cheese
8 oz sour cream
1 can sliced black olives
12 fresh corn tortillas
1 can Las Palmas Enchilada sauce
Frying oil for tortillas
green onions (garnish)
chopped cilantro (garnish)
1 lg fresh tomato diced (garnish)
1. Brown the ground beef and ground pork with diced onion. Season with the spices. Drain off any fat and set aside.
2. Fry the corn tortillas whole and flat until crispy. Drain on paper.
3. Grate the two kinds of cheese and set aside about 1/4 for the top. Combine the sour cream and cottage cheese to the large amount of cheddar and jack cheeses in a bowl.
4. Line the bottom of a deep baking dish with a small amount of enchilada sauce and add a layer of fried tortilla.
5. Add a layer of the meat mixture.
6. Add another layer of tortillas and sauce. Add a layer of the cheese mixture.
7. One more layer of tortillas, sauce, remaining cheese, green onions, cilantro, and olives for garnish.
8. Bake @ 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
9. Sprinkle with the tomatoes and serve.