- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni (I used whole wheat)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- ⅔ cup frozen corn (I used 1 cup)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin (I used 1 teaspoon)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- While the water is boiling and pasta is cooking, prepare the ground beef and vegetables. In a large skillet set over medium heat, cook the beef and onion, stirring and breaking up the meat into small crumbles, until meat is no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, chilies, cumin, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to a gentle simmer and continue to cook, uncovered, for 4-56minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Drain macaroni and add to the meat/vegetable mixture. Stir in the cilantro and heat through. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more salt, pepper, cumin, etc. to taste.
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1-1/3 cups):
224 calories, 6 g fat , 24 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch and *6 Weight Watchers Points Plus, 5 SmartPoints