Loaded with salsa verde (green sauce) and delicious chopped tomatoes, this healthy crock pot chicken is incredibly flavorful and extremely easy to make. Just place it all in the crock pot and walk away.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 jar (16-ounces) Salsa Verde (I use Herdez Salsa Verde)
- 1 can (14.5-ounces) chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon (or to taste) ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon (or to taste) chili powder
- 1 onion, diced, for garnish
- chopped parsley or cilantro, for garnish
- Lightly spray the crock with cooking spray.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place chicken in the crock pot.
- Add salsa verde, chopped tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder; stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook for 3.5 to 4 hours on HIGH, or 5 to 6 hours on LOW.
- Remove cover and transfer chicken breasts to a cutting board; using two forks, shred the chicken.*
- Stir the shredded chicken back into the crock pot.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Top with diced onions and fresh parsley or cilantro.
NUTRITIONAL INFO PER SERVING
- Calories: 309
- Total Fat: 10.8
- Saturated Fat. 2.8
- Cholesterol: 121 mg
- Sodium: 650 mg
- Carbohydrates: 9.8
- Fiber: 2.1
- Sugar: 4.5
- Protein: 41.7
- 7 Smartpoints
To shred the chicken, you can also place it in a mixing bowl and use your hand mixer or stand mixer to shred the chicken.
*You can serve this with flour tortillas, sandwich bread, and/or burger buns.
**You can also serve it as is.
***Place leftovers in a container with a lid and refrigerate for 3 to 5 days.