Comfort food done right from the Queen of Country.
Dolly Parton is best known for country music, but it turns out she should carry some clout in the cooking arena too. Her Five Layer Dinner is comfort food done best – simple flavors that are combined in a bake that is both easy to make and entirely satisfying. With layers of ground beef and just a few simple veggies, it’s economical too, so it’s just the kind of great down-home family-friendly fare you’d expect from the Queen of Country herself.
Serves 6; 15 minutes prep, 2 hours cook time
- 3 large russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 lb lean ground beef, browned and crumbled
- 2 large onions, sliced and rings separated
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced OR 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 green bell peppers, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13-inch baking pan with butter or nonstick spray.
- Layer potatoes in bottom of baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Top with the ground beef, followed by the onions, then the tomatoes, and the bell peppers, seasoning with salt and pepper between each layer.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 2 hours. Enjoy!