This is my attempt at trying to come up with a new way to use up the abundance of squash coming from our garden. I was going for a creamy, cheesy casserole, and it turned out pretty darned good. Next time, I may add a cup of chopped cooked chicken to the mix.
Cook time: 1 Hr
Prep time: 1 Hr 20 Min
4 – 4 1/2 c yellow squash (sliced & chopped)
1 c diced sweet onion
3 Tbsp butter, divided
1 can cream of onion soup
1/4 c sour cream
1/4 c mayonnaise
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp seasoned salt
1 1/2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
2 c crushed ritz crackers, divided (i like “everything” flavored)
1. Gather and prep ingredients. (Prep time is approximate.)
2. Place chopped squash and onions in a microwave safe casserole dish; cover with lid. Microwave for 5 minutes on high power; stir; microwave on high for additional 5 minutes.
3. Drain squash in mesh strainer placed over a bowl. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. In the still hot casserole dish, place one tablespoon butter; swirl to melt and coat sides of dish.
5. In prepared dish, mix together 1 can condensed cream of onion soup, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt.
6. Mix in 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese and one cup crushed ritz crackers.
7. Add well drained squash and onion mixture; stir until well combined.
8. Smooth the mixture down; cover with remaining cheese.
9. Melt 2 tablespoons butter; pour over remaining 1 cup crushed crackers, mix well until crumbs are evenly coated.
10. Scatter crumbs evenly over casserole. Bake, uncovered, on middle rack of preheated 350 degree F oven for one hour, turning dish after first half hour.
11. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.