- 2 tablespoons salted butter*
- 6 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 pound (500 g) shrimp (or prawns) — tails on or off
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup white wine (OPTIONAL)
- 5 oz (150 g) jarred sun dried tomato strips in oil, drained
- 1¾ cups half and half (or milk — reduced fat, skim or full fat milk)* *SEE NOTES
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- ⅔ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (do not include for dairy free option)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with 1 tablespoons of water (optional)***
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter and add in the garlic and fry until fragrant (about one minute). Add in the shrimp and fry two minutes on each side, until [I]just[/I] cooked through and pink. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
- Fry the onion in the butter remaining in the skillet. Pour in the white wine (if using), and allow to reduce slightly. Add the sun dried tomatoes and fry for 1-2 minutes to release their flavours.
- Reduce heat to low-medium heat, add the half and half and bring to a gentle simmer, while stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Add in the spinach leaves and allow to wilt in the sauce, and add in the parmesan cheese. Allow sauce to simmer for a further minute until cheese melts through the sauce. (For a thicker sauce, add the milk/cornstarch mixture to the centre of the pan, and continue to simmer while quickly stirring the mixture through until the sauce thickens.)
- Add the shrimp back into the pan; sprinkle with the herbs and parsley, and stir through.
- Serve over pasta, rice or steamed veg.