Recipe By: Mitchell Tuckness
“This is a simple and tasty recipe for weekdays or when friends and family come over to visit. It’s a creamy chicken comfort food recipe with mushrooms that I have had a lot of good comments on when I make it at home. If you have a rice cooker, cook some rice while the chicken is resting. It’s a great base for the chicken and creamy sauce.”
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (7 ounce) can whole mushrooms, drained
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until it is semi-transparent, about 5 minutes. Add parsley and stir until coated. Place chicken in the skillet and brown, about 5 minutes per side. Add poultry seasoning and cayenne, making sure chicken is coated. Transfer chicken to a 9×13-inch dish. Cover with mushrooms and set aside on a warming plate.
- Combine soup, heavy cream, and buttermilk in a mixing bowl. Add the onion mixture and combine. Pour over the chicken. Cover the tops with Swiss cheese, making sure all areas are covered.
- Bake in the preheated oven until chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 1 hour and 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 15 minutes.