Zesty, hearty, and so easy to make.
A quick chicken breast dinner sometimes gets the reputation of being boring, but this Cowboy Chicken doesn’t deserve such unkind words! This easy but zesty baked chicken dish is absolutely packed with deliciousness. It takes boneless skinless chicken breasts and tops them with a hearty blanket of beans, peppers, tomatoes, chiles, and plenty of cheese… What I’m saying is your tastebuds will find it anything but boring.
Serves 4; 5 minutes prep, 50 minutes cook time
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 (4 oz) can green chiles, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Arrange chicken in a baking dish and season with salt and pepper and half of the cumin, chili powder, and oregano.
- In a bowl, mix together the black beans, black eyed peas, tomatoes, corn, onion, bell pepper, garlic, olive oil, lime juice, and remaining cumin, chili powder, and oregano.
- Spread bean mixture over chicken and bake until chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes.
- Arrange cheese over the top and return to oven until cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Top with fresh cilantro and serve. Enjoy!