This is my daughters favorite cake of all cakes. The first time I made it she said I never had to make any other type cakes…this one suited her just fine… I like the dense texture, together with the creaminess of the cream cheese frosting, and the crunchiness of the toasted coconut. I hope you enjoy this delicious cake!
Cook time: 40 Min
Prep time: 15 Min
Serves: 24 squares
1 c butter, softened (2 sticks)
6 oz cream cheese, softened
2 1/4 c sugar
1 – 2 tsp vanilla extract or for more of a coconut flavor, add coconut extract
2 1/4 c cake flour
1/8 c coconut milk or coconut cream – optional
FROSTING – I DOUBLE THIS
1/4 c butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla or coconut extract is good as well
1 1/2 c confectioners’ sugar
1/2 c coconut- for toasting and sprinkling on top of the frosting
Note: can add a few tablespoons milk, cream or coconut milk ( i don’t , as i like a thick frosting on the cake )
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Prepare a 9 x 13 pan with non stick cooking spray. Can also use a sheet cake pan. I prefer thicker!
2. Cream together butter, cream cheese and sugar.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time, vanilla and then mix in flour. Add milk now if using. Beat in well.
4. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. As this cake cools, it will fall…that’s normal…so don’t be alarmed…it should be the thickness of a sheet cake…it will not be thick like a regular cake…:) Cool on cooling rack. Note: some have said that this cake becomes even moister if placed in freezer as soon as comes from the oven. I’ve not tried it, but have also read that this is true with cakes in general.
5. Frosting: Beat together butter, cheese, vanilla and add sugar. Mix until well blended.
6. You can now toast coconut. I toast mine in a lightly sprayed skillet and keep tossing until golden. You can also place coconut on a baking sheet and toast in oven, turning frequently so not to burn.
7. I then gently remove the cake from the pan; and cut the cooled cake into 24 squares, and top with frosting and coconut.
You can leave cake in pan and frost. I did it my way for presentation… Enjoy!
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!