- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 large, very ripe bananas, peeled
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8×4-inch bread pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine all the bananas and cover with plastic wrap.
- Pierce the plastic wrap to vent.
- Heat the bananas in the microwave until they begin to turn soft and loose their liquid.
- Using a mesh strainer, drain the bananas, catching the liquid in a small saucepan. Stir the bananas occasionally to help get rid of as much liquid as possible.
- Reduce the liquid from the bananas over medium high heat for 5 minutes, or until it’s about 1/4 cup.
- Mix together the bananas and liquid. Mash the bananas until they are smooth.
- Whisk in the eggs, brown sugar and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 55-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes and then remove from the pan and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 75 minute(s)
Diet type: vegetarian
Diet tags: low fat
Number of servings (yield): 16
Entire recipe makes 16 servings
Serving size is about 1 slice
Each serving = 4 Smart Points = 3 Points +
1g saturated fat