This is the perfect chicken pasta recipe! Creamy Chicken Alfredo with sun-dried tomato, spinach, and bacon. You’ll love the way the seasoned shredded chicken acts as a mop for alfredo sauce. A quick 20 minute dinner!
This is the pasta that you make when you have had a bad day and need to get some help.
This is the pasta that you make after a great Day, and you want to end on a high note.
This is the pasta to make if you want a quick meal that everyone can eat.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 15 mins
Total: 20 mins
300g / 10 oz fettuccine (Note 1)
30g / 2 tbsp butter , separated
2 chicken breasts , cut in half horizontally
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
2 garlic cloves , minced
1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine (sub more chicken broth)
1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock / broth , low sodium
1 1/4 cups (315ml) cream , thickened / heavy (Note 2)
3/4 cup (75g) parmesan , finely shredded (Note 3)
70g / 2.5oz baby spinach
100 g / 3oz sun dried tomato strips (Note 4)
120g / 4oz bacon , cooked and crumbled
Parsley , for garnish (optional)
Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water for time per packet minus 1 1/2 minutes.
Just before draining, scoop out a mugful of pasta cooking water. Then drain pasta.
Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.
Melt half the butter in a large skillet over hig heat.
Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes on each side until deep golden.
Remove chicken onto plate, rest for a few minutes then shred with 2 forks.
Turn down heat to medium high. In the same skillet, add remaining butter and garlic.
Cook garlic for 30 seconds until golden, then add wine.
Simmer rapidly, stirring to scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Once mostly evaporated, add chicken broth, cream, parmesan and sun dried tomato.
Simmer on medium for 3 – 5 minutes, stirring leisurely, until it reduces and thickens.
Add spinach, chicken and cooked pasta.
Toss for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes on the stove, until sauce thickens and coats the pasta strands (see VIDEO). Use pasta cooking water if needed if it gets too thick.
Serve immediately with parmesan, crumbled bacon and parsley (if desired).
1. Pasta – flat wide pastas are best for creamy sauces like this but any pasta will work just fine, short, long, normal or fancy. Use dried not fresh pasta.
2. Cream – recipe will work with light, but obviously lacks the same amount of richness! Toss pasta at end with splash of pasta cooking water – the extra starch in the water will help make the sauce thick like using full fat cream.
3. Parmesan – either finely grate your own, or buy the finely shredded parmesan at the shops (ie the short very thin strands)
Do not use store bought sandy parmesan or shaved, they will not melt.
4. Sun Dried Tomato – I’ve discovered the low cal joys of oil free vac packed sun dried tomatoes which is what I use in this.
They plump up nicely when simmered in sauce. The sun dried tomato in oil also works just as well.
5. Leftovers – keeps better than most creamy pastas I share because I use a bit more cream in this recipe than I usually do! Fridge for 3 days or so, then reheating the microwave. Add a tiny splash of water to loosen up the sauce if needed.