Yield 2 loaves, 16 servings
2 tablespoons ground flaxmeal
6 tablespoons water
2 cups grated zucchini (about 1 large or 2 medium)
1/2 cup grated carrots (about 1 large)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray two loaf pans.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flaxmeal and water, and set aside.
- Grate the zucchini and carrot, and place in a large bowl. Add the sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients together.
- Add the flaxmeal and water mixture to the zucchini mixture. Then stir in the dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.