Here’s my version of (diet) Cabbage Soup – it doesn’t add more calories but it sure adds a lot more flavor. If you don’t need the diet version, add even more flavor with diced ham, crumbled bacon, white beans, corn, tomato sauce, or other ingredients that you like with cabbage. I love it and hope you will too!
Cook time: 45 Min
Prep time: 30 Min
Serves: 7 quarts
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 onions, coarsely chopped
4-5 stalk celery, sliced
3-4 md carrots, sliced or coarsely chopped
1 bell pepper, diced
4 clove garlic, minced
3 qt homemade or low sodium chicken stock
2 Tbsp dried basil
3 Tbsp dried chives
2 Tbsp italian seasoning
1 Tbsp oregano
2 tsp ground marjoram
1 tsp red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
salt to taste
2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper (or more to taste)
1 head cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
2 can 14.5 oz petite or regular diced tomatoes with juice
1 can 11.5 oz v-8 juice (optional)
1. In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Stir in onion, celery, bell pepper, carrots and garlic; cook until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in chicken stock, dried seasonings, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then stir in cabbage. Simmer until cabbage wilts, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in tomatoes and optional V-8 juice. Return to a boil, then simmer 15 to 30 minutes, stirring often.
4. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
5. NOTES: I like a little bit of heat so I add 2 tsp of red pepper flakes and I like the taste of Italian seasoning with the cabbage (go figure!) so I add 3 Tbsp to suit my taste. You can always add so start off sparingly, taste and adjust seasonings as desired.