This recipe is for “picky eaters” like me. Even grown-ups seem to like it for a change. To make a more traditional dressing you may add sauteed onions, celery and hard boiled eggs before baking, Instead of cornbread mix, a homemade cornbread recipe may be used. Note: Chicken may be baked with 2-3 cups of water instead of boiled.
Cook time: 45 Min
Prep time: 1 Hr 35 Min
2 pkg cornbread mix-i prefer stone ground
1 1/3 c milk
2 tsp sage
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black or white pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
3-4 c chicken broth from boiled chicken, hen or canned
butter or cooking spray
BOILED CHICKEN-PREPARE THE DAY BEFORE & REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT. BOIL IN AT LEAST A 3 QT SAUCEPAN OR DUTCHOVEN- UNTIL DONE ABOUT 1 1/2 HOURS-LEAVE WHOLE.
1 chicken-boiled whole; reserve broth
water-enough to cover completely; add more (water) as needed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
NOTE: THE NEXT DAY- REMOVE FROM REFRIG. & PLACE WHOLE COLD CHICKEN INTO BAKING DISH ON TOP OF DRESSING. ALSO, FOR CONVENIENCE, BAKE CORNBREAD THE DAY BEFORE, RECIPE MAY BE DOUBLED FOR DRESSING.
1. Bake cornbread- Mix according to directions with eggs and milk. Note: I use an iron skillet that has been greased and heated then sprinkle cornmeal over the bottom before adding prepared cornbread mixture and baking.
2. Allow baked cornbread to cool. Break pieces into large bowl. Add spices and enough broth to moisten well. Reserving some broth to pour over chicken.
3. Place dressing into a buttered 9×13 inch baking dish. Note: May use cooking spray in place of butter.
4. Place (cooked) boiled whole chicken rubbed with salt, pepper and other spices as desired in the center of dressing. Pour broth over chicken making dressing a little soupy.
5. Bake uncovered for about 45 minute @ 350 until chicken is browned and dressing is hot. May increase oven temperature to 400F during last 15 minutes.
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!