A baked mashup that’ll stick to your ribs.
More or less, this is a casserole that’s made up of a dozen little sandwiches with a filling that’s reminiscent of a sloppy joe but flavored like a very cheesy bacon cheeseburger. (Everything about that sounds good, right?) The ingredients maybe aren’t that groundbreaking, but it’s all in the assembly, which goes like this:
You slather six slices of bread with butter, cut them in half, and line the bottom of a baking dish with them, butter side down.
Serves 6; 15 minutes prep, 20 minutes cook time
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 12 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, season ground beef and cook until almost cooked through.
- Drain any excess grease, add onions, and cook until softened, about 3 more minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in bacon, mayo, ketchup, mustard, and onion powder. Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Spread the butter over 6 slices of bread and cut each slice in half. Lay pieces butter side down in a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Top with half of each cheese and then spoon beef mixture on top. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Butter the remaining slices of bread and again slice them in half. Arrange bread butter side up on top of the cheese.
- Bake until bread is golden brown and cheese has melted, 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!