1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
1 teaspoon finely minced jalapeno pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
4 teaspoons flour
1/2 cup water
1 lb cooked chicken, cubed
1 cup evaporated milk
8 ounces processed cheese, 1-inch cubes
10 (6 inch) corn tortillas, 1/4-inch strips, fried
1. Sauté garlic and onions in large pan o until soft.
2. Add ingredients 4 through 13. Bring to low boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
3. Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch strips and spray with Pam then bake at 400ºF (while soup is cooking).
4. Thoroughly mix flour and water, then whisk into soup. Bring to a low boil, then simmer 5 minutes.
5. Add chicken and simmer 5 minutes.
6. Stir in cheese (more or less of each, depending on taste). Ensure 165ºF serving temperature.
7. After serving soup, pile tortilla strips into a “haystack” shape on top of the soup.
8. Optional: garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.