When it comes to classic dishes, sometimes you need a good standby recipe that is always good and never tastes boring. That’s what this Amish overnight coleslaw recipe delivers. Thanks to a flavorful dressing (with no mayonnaise at all) and the addition of red and green peppers, this tasty coleslaw has just the right amount a kick. If you thought coleslaw had to be boring then you need to taste this vintage recipe.
- For the slaw
- 12 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 each red and green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups carrots
- 3/4 cup sugar
- For the dressing
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 cup vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- Combine vegetables in a large bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Set aside.
- In a saucepan combine dressing ingredients and bring to a boil. Stir for one minute before removing from heat.
- Pour dressing over vegetables and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- If serving this the same day, refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving for best results.